No two funeral directors provide their services in the same way, making ready value-for-money comparison difficult; each LAFD member provides a funeral for which the service is defined in the Code of Practice and to which they apply their own price.
In the unlikely event of a dispute, our members agree to be a part of the Funeral Arbitration Scheme and agree to be bound by their rulings on matters raised with them.
As a condition of Membership, members of the London Association of Funeral Directors agree to comply with the principles and the details of this Code of Practice.
- To observe strictly the confidence of every client at all times.
- To observe at all times the basic rights of clients as consumers.
- To render good service at all times and make fair charges in respect of services rendered and for merchandise supplied.
- To ensure that advertising is always in good taste. No sensational, offensive or misleading advertising is permitted.
- To provide clients with full and fair information about services. To have readily available price lists covering The Simple Funeral Service, and itemised charges for all the constituent parts of the Funeral Director’s services and all types of coffins and caskets available.
- To display the price lists referred to in (5) above in the public area of all funeral premises.
- To give a written estimate of the Funeral Director’s charges and disbursements to be made on a client’s behalf, together with written confirmation of the funeral arrangements, in each and every case, as soon as is practicable before the day of the funeral. No contractual agreement will have been entered into until these documents have been accepted by the client.
- To provide clients with an itemised account in a form readily comparable with the estimate.
- To refrain from soliciting funeral orders or offering, or giving any reward for recommendation to persons or organisations such as Health Service establishments, Nursing Homes or Coroners’ Officers, etc.
- To display to the general public the logos of the National Association of Funeral Directors and the Funeral Arbitration Scheme and to have copies of the Code of Practice and Funeral Arbitration Scheme leaflets on display and available to take away.
- To co-operate at all times with Trading Standards Officers, Citizens Advice Bureau, and consumer support groups. And any other organisation representing clients in the resolution of complaints or disputes
- To partake in, and abide by, the decision of the conciliation, independent arbitration and Disciplinary Committee procedures of the Association in the resolution of any complaints or disputes between client and Funeral Director(s